Oh my dear friends, I’m so sorry, but I’m still not cooking.  Not anything of note.  Not anything with any inspiration.  Case in point, I just ate some fish balls from a can plus sauteed greens for dinner.  Standing at the counter.  I guess I made a sort of chicken curry thing yesterday – Espen got the leftovers of that today.  It was good, but not noteworthy.  Cooking still doesn’t inspire me.  Actually, on that note, paging all working moms, HELP!  Do you have any tips for getting dinner on the table every day while mustering some occasional sense of inspiration, or at least not total burnout, about it?  I would LOVE TIPS!!!!!

In the meantime, this is what I’m up to most of the time: orchestrating the workings of our cocktail program, and making 900 different jars of liqueurs and amari, and tweaking our gins, and working on our whiskey.  Oh and we are releasing a vodka next week (I’m surly about that because I find vodka dull – sorry if you’re a vodka lover, I mean no offense! It’s just not a personal favorite.)  And that’s good too.  And at the end of this post I’ll share a recipe for the cocktail I came up with in honor of my grandmother.  For the most part it’s easy to make – the IPA syrup is mildly tricky, but not very – and it’s fantastically complex and colorful, a little tart, salty, spicy, and full of attitude.  Like my grandma.  I’ll share that, but first I’m going to share a bunch of pictures from the distillery because that’s what I have pictures of right now.

cocktail making behind bar copypouring lumbersexual copyice block copyEmily with event punch copy

ted and caleb and stills copycaleb checking run copyjoel espen and measuring tape copy

bottling line copy

grapefruit liqueur and experiments copyjoel and ted measuring for barrels copyhydrating barrels copyartifacts cupboard copynight bar shot copyparty punch copycocktail room visitors copybeverly 1 copybeverly 3 copySometimes it is very (very, very, very) surreal.  But, it’s fun.

Until next time! (Maybe I’ll share a fun amaro recipe with you!)

The Beverly cocktail

Serves: 1 cocktail
Ingredients
  • 1½ oz. London Dry style gin (preferably Vikre Boreal Juniper, of course!)
  • 1 oz IPA syrup*
  • 1 oz apricot juice
  • ½ oz lime
  • pinch of cayenne salt**
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker, add ice, and shake hard until well chilled and foamy, about 15 seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass.
  2. * To make IPA syrup, let 1 cup of a nice grapefruity IPA go flat. In a heavy bottomed pot, combine ½ cup sugar with a Tablespoon of water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar turns to a deep amber caramel. Then, add the IPA (it will bubble up like CRAZY! and the caramel will harden instantly), turn the heat down to low, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the caramel dissolves into the beer and it is a thicky, syrupy consistency. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks.
  3. ** To make cayenne salt, combine a pinch of cayenne powder with a Tablespoon of sea salt. The salt you don't use in the cocktail will keep indefinitely and can be used for sprinkling on meat or on fruit like mangoes or melons.

14 Responses to The Beverly cocktail

1. Britt says:

Hi, Emily! The bar looks *beautiful* and that cocktail recipe looks fantastic – perfect for spring, can’t wait to try it! I love apricot in anything. 🙂
    I am a new mom of 5 month old & I work from home – the crockpot has become my best friend. That’s the only way we have anything home-cooked anymore! But it’s brilliant because I can put something in first thing in the morning, and it’s ready by dinnertime – no work in between. And of course, everyone from Food52 to The Kitchn to Martha Stewart have great crockpot/slow cooker recipe collections – Pinterest is a great resource, too.
    Best of luck as you guys continue to grow the distillery – I hope to be able to visit myself one day!
    Cheers,
    B

2. Jennifer says:

Hi, Emily. Beautiful pictures! And the cocktail sounds delicious. One of our local markets has a grapefruit ale on tap at the moment, and now you’ve given me a reason to go fetch another growler. As for the working mom dinner dilemma, the best advice I can offer is probably this: eggs. My children are now 11 and 13, and dinner is just the tiniest bit easier that it was when they were smaller. I’ve made weekly menu plans for four or five years, and we stick to them about 80% of the time. My back up plan, when things go awry, is always eggs: scrambled, shirred, poached, soft-boiled or hard-boiled – with herbs, with break & jam, with salad. Also bacon, though not always, of course. Perhaps that’s because I’m a fellow lover of butter and cream; eggs just go with the territory. Cheers and continued good luck with the distillery. Jennifer

3. Jade says:

i had my baby around the same time you had Espen and I was always super impressed you were able to be a mom, finish your degree, and open a new business all at the same time! I barely found time to shower…So I totally get you about the kitchen inspiration problem. I’ve been doing a lot of roasting lately. It takes only a few minutes to season some chicken or fish and toss in a pan with some chopped veggies and roast it all together for half an hour while I go do something else. I play around with the seasonings (roasting caraway seeds and olive oil on cauliflower is a new favorite) to have variety, but the basic formula is the same. I’ve also been relying heavily on a steamer as another appliance in which I can throw something in and forget about it until the timer dings. It’s pretty basic where in the past I’ve always enjoyed branching out with recipes, but I find now basic is also comforting in its own way too. Hope that helps!

4. Kate says:

Oh, oh, oh that cocktail! IPA syrup is genius and congrats on all that you have going on. I can see that syrup working nicely in a margarita too, although maybe that’s me and all I think about are margaritas, which also make a good dinner for working moms. The kids can have cereal. 🙂

5. Libby Sibley says:

Hi Emily!

This is exactly the problem to which I am trying to find a solution. How to get a wholesome, inspired, delicious meal on the table for busy folks who love to cook but, for various reasons, do not (at the moment, in your case). Head on over to http://www.musiccitymise.com, if you are interested in learning more!

All the best!

6. Tim says:

Emily,
    Crockpots and the freezer. Make interesting crockpot dishes that freeze well. Eat them fresh until you’re about to be sick of them, then freeze what’s left. Keep them in the freezer until you’ve forgotten that you’re sick of them. In the meantime, do a different interesting crocodile dinner. Rinse, repeat. Or grill a piece of meat or poultry in an interesting marinade on the weekend. More than you will eat for a single meal. The rest of the week cut slices and have them cold in salads or with interesting things like aolis. I’m not a mom, but I worked and cooked and helped raise a child. It gets harder when the child gets old enough to have food preferences, but if you don’t get them started on fast food or frozen dinners, they’ll make unconventional but interesting choices. I somehow helped raise a boy who loves to cook.

7. Tim says:

That “interesting crocodile dinner” should have been “interesting crockpot dinner”. Auto correct.

8. Aunty Kathy says:

Thanks for posting the cocktail recipe! I know my mom is beaming in Heaven with the idea of a drink made and named in honor of her.

9. Calli says:

Cocktails are awesome, too, and can be so creative. I enjoyed this post. 🙂

10. Sarah Wylie says:

Hey, Em! Came on here looking for your miso salmon recipe and saw your working mom comment. YES. My strategy has been to pick a theme week that’s both easy and interesting – Rick Bayless, The Morning Glory Cookbook (Vietnamese), Alice Waters Vegetables – and then menu plan for the whole week. It makes me try new things (using our zillion cookbooks instead of being glued to a screen), builds my repertoire, and while it’s not always inspired, I’m at least using an inspired cookbook. Honestly, the only real solution is to remind yourself that you’re already doing better than 97% of all moms out there.

11. Nitin says:

I love your new job! You guys look like you’re having so much fun! That said the struggle to get good interface editing meals on the table is real. How about no cook soups like gazpachos or just throw some chick peas, can of crushed tomatoes, ginger garlic, and some cumin + coriander and some chicken broth in a crockpot on medium for an hour. And you’ll have some pretty amazing Chana masala. Good luck!