miso butter salmon

In an effort to share more of our very most every day meals, the ones I throw together with whatever’s left in the fridge, or the staples I can make with my eyes half closed at the end of a long day, I’ve started posting occasional short, simple posts just about these meals.  I call it vær så god, Norwegian for “bon appetit.”

Miso-butter!!!!!  Also known as my new favorite thing to smear, brush, and drizzle on everything.  Not to mention dip things into.

Until last week, I had never actually bought my own canister of miso before.  I’d used miso, certainly, but only at other people’s houses.  I’d never invested in my own before because of exactly that.  It feels like a real investment (to me at least! I may be a little dramatic) to get a whole big ol’ tub of it.  And I’ve never seen it available any way other than by the tub.  But, last week I wanted to make this soup.  I wanted to make it so much, I decided that miso was worth the investment.  And now I have enough miso to use anywhere I could possibly want that funky, cheesy, umami-bomb(i) deliciousness.  Where I want it is everywhere.  With butter.

I happened to read the little side column in the most recent issue of Bon Appetit that talked about using miso-butter to baste while grilling and I thought, “hallelujah, my dinner has been saved!”  And I proceeded to stir some miso into melted butter and brush it on a salmon fillet and eat it with broccoli and sweet potatoes (which are also exceptionally good with miso butter – maybe even better than the salmon was).  And lo, it was tasty.

Vær så god!

Miso-butter basted salmon

Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 1 large fillet of salmon, skin on (about 2 lbs.)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2-3 Tbs. salted butter
  • 1 Tbs. white miso
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 400F.
  2. Pat your salmon fillet dry, put it in a baking dish, and sprinkle it lightly with salt and pepper.
  3. Melt the butter in a bowl and gently whisk/stir in the miso.
  4. Put your salmon in the oven and brush it with some of the miso-butter mixture every 5 minutes as it cooks. Cook until it is just done enough to be opaque in the center and flake when prodded with a fork, approximately 8 minutes per ½-inch of thickness. Take out of the oven and serve accompanied by veggies.
Notes
Inspired by Bon Appetit, February 2014

15 Responses to Miso-butter basted salmon

1. Mimi says:

Oh my. I will be making this! Thank you. Bless you!

2. Suzanne says:

Oh this sounds really good. I have some white miso, it’s pretty old hope it’s still good I want to make this for dinner. I’ll try with the sweet potatoes and broccoli. Yum!

3. Oooooh! I recently bought miso and became obsessed with it as well. We’ve been using the miso glaze from Love and Lemons on basically anything we can get our hands on, but especially fish. Will be trying this soon!

4. I felt the same way about miso! It is a real investment and the jar I got last week for the contest recipe is quite big, so this is perfect for me! Thanks for sharing, such a blessing to read your posts!

5. Shannon says:

Oh I’m a big fan of miso. I often mix it with tahini for salad dressings or a toss veggies in miso and maple and roast them in the oven. Next up, I’ll definitely have to try blending it with some butter.

6. Kate says:

How funny that you thought of buying miso as a big investment! It lasts forever in the fridge, since it’s already fermented and very salty. I have two tubs, one of white and one of red, in there right now, and I can’t remember when I bought them! Is that gross? Hopefully not. In any case, the combination of butter and miso is indeed magic, but I’ve never thought to baste with it before. What is it about basting that is so loving and cozy? Thanks for the idea.

• Emily says:

Yeah, it’s a slightly weird complex, isn’t it? I’ve always figured it probably lasts a long time, but I’ve never been totally sure. Glad to hear that it does!!!

7. ball says:

Thank you for share.It very nice.I like to eat Salmon.

8. […] (Miso Eggplant) • Love and Lemons Sugar Snap Pea Salad with Miso Dressing • Girl Versus Dough Miso Butter Salmon • Five and Spice Fried Asparagus with Miso Dressing • Food52 3-Ingredient Miso Almond Pasta […]

9. […] Added a poached egg and served with rice – I could eat this every day for a year. – Miso-basted salmon another night – we both loved this recipe – with more corn. I’ve been buying 5-6 […]